IBM Tivoli Network Manager 3.8 Workshop
The Tivoli Network Manager Fundamentals workshop is designed to provide an understanding of the key product processes, including the integration with Netcool/OMNIbus, Root Cause Analysis (RCA) calculation, and network monitoring using the Network Manager Pollers. The workshop includes approximately thirty percent lecture and seventy percent hands-on exercises.
The workshop begins with a basic overview of product components and their associated functions. You will configure Tivoli Network Manager and carry out a full discovery of simulated networks containing various vendor specific devices. To further understand the intricacies of the discovery cycle, you will customize discovery by changing the behavior of finders and agents. You will also learn to create real time MIB graphs, control polling behavior, and use the reporting functions of IBM Tivoli Network Manager.
• Build an appreciation for the Network Manager interface and understand the product.
• Understand discovery in the context of Tivoli Network Manager IP Edition.
• Learn about Layer 3/Layer 2 discovery.
• Develop an understanding of OQL.
• Learn how to use discovery agents.
• Learn how to build and use discovery filters.
• Use the Topoviz Hop View and network partition view.
• Configure and customize Network Manager polling behavior.
• Schedule event-based reports.
• View asset and discovery reports.
• Perform a basic stitcher customization to add custom data to a discovery.
This is a fundamental course for administrators or integrators who are responsible for configuring and using Tivoli Network Manager.
You should understand Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), routing and switching, and be able to edit files on a Linux/UNIX operating system.
• Architecture Overview
o Multiple Servers
o Single Server
• Installation Process
• Hardening Installation
• Discovery Overview
• Configuring Discovery
o File Finder
o Ping Finder
• Scheduling Discoveries
• Discovery Tweaks
• The NCIM Database
• Enhancing Discovery
• Maps and Event Lists
• Visualization Overview
• Manipulating Hop Views
• Creating Network Views
• Structure Browser Use
• Monitoring and Polling
• Monitoring Overview
• Real-time MIB Graphing
• Reporting Overview
• Accessing Reports
• Generating Event-based Reports
• Report Scheduling
• Root Cause Analysis
• Scenario Review